As the cooler months roll in, how will you be wearing your hair?
Let's swap out the top knots and other beach-ready styles for natural texture, subtle lowlights perfect for brunettes, face-framing highlights or one-dimensional hair colour.
Imagine buttery coral blondes, creamy chestnuts, espresso brunettes with deep seductive, full-bodied coffee tones, rich reds and a bit of zing with auburn coppers. Let's find out which look will be best for you...
1. Caramel Blondes
Is there anything more delicious than a caramel blonde?
Rich, silky, warm Caramel Blondes sit at the deeper end of the blonde scale. Reflecting Sunkissed looks, trade-in your bright icy blonde with a soft transition from summer hair to autumn hair. While you may have been maintaining your blonde with purple shampoo to eliminate brassy looks, your new caramel look will require you to add tone back into the hair. Evo fabuloso caramel is the best for this. Use once weekly after shampooing and leave in for 3- 5 minutes. Top tip- the longer you leave it, the deeper your tone will appear! To keep your colour from fading shampoo with Invigo Color Brilliance Shampoo and condition with Wella Fusion Conditioner.
Our Celebrity Caramel pick is J-Lo
A blend of multidimensional colour to add spice and variety, this colouring technique will keep your colour looking fresh whilst only requiring a low maintenance colour routine. From Caramel brunettes to pumpkin spice, red balayage with shadow root is excellent for those who really dread the frequency of each root touch up appointment. Keeping your hair hydrated and strong is an essential part of balayage maintenance. The OLAPLEX take-home kit helps strengthen the bonds of your hair from the inside out to keep the colour locked into those ends for as long as possible.
3. Tortoiseshell Hair
Brightening up brunettes everywhere. Like tortoiseshell sunglasses, tortoiseshell hair is a mix of browns and golds, mixing warm hues and highlights together to form seamless tones. Think of an alternate version of Ombre combined with a balayage technique. "The difference is you first richen up your natural hair with colour while adding highlights to add a multidimensional blend of tones," says Goldwell expert colourist Lucy from Zorba Hair.
Our Celebrity pick for tortoiseshell Hair – Sofia Vergara
4. Reds and Coppers
This is one of our faves! With beautiful shades of strawberry blonde and fiery red contrasting to the Auburns and Coppers, the list of choices here is just endless-but all equally as glorious as the other!
The hard part is always matching your skin tone but don't worry-we've got your skin tone woes covered.
Got pale skin? Think red with cool undertones like strawberry blonde, copper and ginger tones but if your skin tone leans more to medium, then think red or copper, auburn or brighter cherry reds. Dark skin tone? Think deep auburns, chestnuts or blue/purple base red tones like burgundy. Look after your Autumn colour with Goldwell Color Shampoo Goldwell Color Conditioner to minimise colour fade.
Our Celebrity Picks Nicole Kidman and Cynthia Nixon and our fave Red Head Rhi Rhi.
5. Chocolate Espresso
Think glossy, shiny chocolate brown hair that boasts that healthy and perfectly smooth look. Chocolate melts are glamorous and rich and look fab on cool, olive skin tones. Brighten up this look with chestnut highlights to soften the style.
Then, keep it fresh with Milkshake Coloured Conditioning foam.
Our celebrity pick is Kim K.
Looking After Your Colour
- Use a hair mask at least once a week Kerasilk Color Intensive Lustre Mask.
- Use products that have sun protection (yes, like sunscreen for hair) as UV rays dramatically fade your colour Moroccan Oil Protect and Prevent Spray or Joico Defy Damage Protective Shield are the moist tried and tested
- Use thermal protection spray when using hot styling tools. This not only protects your hair from thermal damage but also minimises colour fading.. we love Goldwell Smooth Perfection.
- Try to shampoo the hair less frequently and use dry shampoo to get you through (yep, thank us later for this one) Davroe Revive Dry Shampoo works a treat.
- Focus on shine hair elixirs like System Professional Luxe Oil. These types of products will give you a glamorous shine without weight and oiliness (oh, and the smell is divine!)
- Colour refreshers will become your best friend. These little conditioning foams will stop your colour from fading, add a brilliant gloss to your locks, and condition the hair simultaneously. Goldwell Soft Color is our favourite example. Simply shampoo your hair first, towel dry and leave in up to 20 minutes depending on your desired result, then just rinse and lightly condition.
- Colour depositing shampoo and conditioner will stop the colour from fading and keep those rich tones fresh and vibrant longer (don't tell your hairdresser we told you). The De Lorenzo Novafusion Shampoo and the Revlon Nutri Color Filters are the best options.
If you are looking for an oh-so-glamorous refresh to your colour, you can shop all products online at GlamBox, and don’t forget, we are here to help with any personalised recommendations you need to get started.